Every international business traveler should be able to answer these questions about their destination before getting on the plane.
- What is the size of the country; population and area?
- What are the top 3 or 5 cities, and why?
- Who is the President?
- What are the main political parties?
- What are the official languages?
- What is the ethnic makeup of the country?
- What is the climate and weather throughout the year?
- What are some of the important geographic features (rivers, mountains, lakes)?
- What are the major religions?
- What countries are neighbors?
- What is the currency and exchange rate?
- What are the countries biggest industries; national and export?
- Who are your competitors, and how long have they been established in the country?
- What are 3 significant issues affecting your industry in this country?
- What are 3 significant national issues that are in the news in the last 2 weeks?
- What national holidays or events will be celebrated during your visit
If you can’t answer every question. Set aside an hour, fire up the Internet, and do your homework.
It may be the most important hour you spend preparing for the trip.
Original post June 6, 2007